InterLibrary loan (ILL) is a cooperative service among libraries which allows Mars Hill University students, faculty and staff to acquire materials not available in Renfro Library.
MHU students, faculty and staff who do not have any overdue library materials or owe any overdue fines may request materials via ILL. Local patrons and visitors will be referred to local public libraries for ILL services.
To use ILL:
- First, determine that the materials you need are not available in our collection.
- Request the materials you need by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by filling out a form available at the Circulation Desk.
- Forms need to be signed by a librarian before they will be processed.
- When materials arrive, they may be picked up at the Circulation desk after receiving notice (most often via email) that it has arrived.
- Return ILL books to the Renfro Library Circulation desk by the due date indicated. Due dates are set by the lender, not Renfro Library.
- ILL articles do not need to be returned.
- Renfro Library does not charge for ILL services unless the lender attaches charges to the loan. In those cases, charges are passed on to the borrower.
- If an ILL book is returned damaged, or is lost, the patron will be charged.
- Patrons who order but do not pick up ILL items will be charged a $5 fee per item.
- ILL requests are usually processed on the day they are received. Weekends and holidays may cause delays.
- Generally the materials arrive within a week or two, depending on availability and the U.S. Mail system.
- ILL items may only be renewed once.
- Renewal requests must be submitted at least 3 days before the indicated due date
- Please submit renewal requests by emailing email@example.com, by phone at 689-1506, or in person at the Renfro Library Circulation desk.
- When requesting a renewal, include your name, the ILL# on the front of the book, and your email address.
- Renewal is approved by the lending library, not Renfro Library.
- Renewal requests submitted after the due date will not be processed.
- Patrons who fail to return or renew their interlibrary loan items on or before the due date will have their borrowing privileges blocked until the material is returned.
Overdue ILL materials have a fine of $1 a day, and borrowing privileges will be blocked until the material is returned.
For Further Questions
Please contact Linda Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 1506, or stop by the Circulation desk at Renfro Library.
Renfro Library’s ILL Lending Policy for Other Libraries
Renfro Library does not lend reference books, audiovisuals, microforms, electronic books, or special collections materials. We do not lend to libraries outside of the United States. There are no lending fees associated with Renfro Library materials.