All library patron records are protected by law and are strictly confidential. To view North Carolina law click here.
A current MHU I.D. card must be presented for any circulation transaction.
Library materials must be checked out before they are removed from the building.
Notices are sent by email to patrons a day before their items are due back to the library.
Books which are not overdue can be renewed through one of several methods:
- The patron can ask for renewals in Renfro Library, with or without the item in hand.
- It is also possible for a patron to renew his/her books online by going to MHU Catalog, then clicking on “Your Library Account” in the upper right corner.
- An item can also be renewed over the phone. (828.689.1518)
Once an item is overdue, the patron must bring the item into the library for renewal.
Books can be renewed up to two times for patrons in good standing.
A patron can request a hold on any item that is currently checked out to another patron by using the Request feature on the online catalog.
- Click on the Request link at the top of the screen above the book information.
- Enter your name and MHU ID #.
- Please also enter a date to cancel the hold (the date at which you will no longer want the item).
- Once completed then click submit.
- When an item is returned that has a hold on it, the circulation system will notify the patron who has requested the material.
- The item will be held on the hold shelf behind the Circulation Desk for 3 days after the patron is notified.
You may return items at the circulation desk during Business Hours, or at the book drop next to the front entrance of the library (24/7).
If a patron has overdue materials, their borrowing privileges are suspended until the items are returned. This includes borrowing books, reserves, laptops, study carrels, interlibrary loan, etc.
If, after 3 weekly email reminders are sent, the books are not renewed or returned, the patron will be billed for replacement costs and a non-refundable $10 processing fee. Borrowing privileges will be restored once the fines and replacement costs are paid.
If an item is returned and noticeably damaged, there will be a cost for repair or replacement. The cost will vary depending on the severity of the damage. Cost for minor damage will be a $10 processing fee, and severe damage will be the replacement cost of the item.
Renfro library produces overdue notices several times a week. Library patrons will receive notices through their university email account. Notices are a courtesy and failure to receive one does not excuse penalties associated with library materials.