- Doing justice : a prosecutor’s thoughts on crime, punishment, and the rule of law / Preet Bharara.
- The sun does shine : how I found life, freedom, and justice / Anthony Ray Hinton, with Lara Love Hardin ; and a foreword by Bryan Stevenson.
- Chamber music : Wu-Tang and America (in 36 pieces) / Will Ashon.
- The vinyl frontier : the story of the Voyager Golden Record / Jonathan Scott.
- Where we find ourselves : the photographs of Hugh Mangum, 1897-1922 / edited by Margaret Sartor and Alex Harris ; foreword by Deborah Willis ; introduction by Michael Lesy.
- Why you like it : the science and culture of musical taste / Nolan Gasser.
- Appealing for liberty : freedom suits in the South / Loren Schweninger.
- The Cuba reader : history, culture, politics / Aviva Chomsky, Barry Carr, Alfredo Prieto, and Pamela Maria Smorkaloff, editors.
- Eisenhower : becoming the leader of the free world / Louis Galambos.
- Fault lines : a history of the United States since 1974 / Kevin M. Kruse and Julian E. Zelizer.
- Indians on the move : Native American mobility and urbanization in the twentieth century / Douglas K. Miller.
- Kosovo, a documentary history : from the Balkan wars to World War II / edited by Robert Elsie and Bejtullah Destani.
- The Landmark Julius Caesar : the complete works : Gallic War, Civil War, Alexandrian War, African War, and Spanish War : in one volume, with maps, annotations, appendices, and encyclopedic index / edited and translated by Kurt A. Raaflaub ; series editor, Robert B. Strassler.
- Last witnesses : an oral history of the children of World War II / Svetlana Alexievich ; translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.
- The longest day ; A bridge too far : other World War II writings / Cornelius Ryan ; Rick Atkinson, editor.
- Making black history : the color line, culture, and race in the age of Jim Crow / Jeffrey Aaron Snyder.
- Secret token : myth, obsession, and the search for the lost colony of Roanoke / Andrew Lawler.
- Sisters and rebels : a struggle for the soul of America / Jacquelyn Dowd Hall.
- Stony the road : Reconstruction, white supremacy, and the rise of Jim Crow / Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
- Surviving genocide : native nations and the United States from the American Revolution to bleeding Kansas / Jeffrey Ostler.
- They were her property : white women as slave owners in the American South / Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers.
- Vietnam’s American war : a history / Pierre Asselin.
Language and Literature
- A cruelty special to our species : poems / Emily Jungmin Yoon.
- Be with / Forrest Gander ; with photographs by Michael Flomen.
- Crazy brave : a memoir / Joy Harjo.
- How we became human : new and selected poems / Joy Harjo.
- LGBTQ fiction and poetry from Appalachia / edited by Jeff Mann & Julia Watts.
- Outsiders : five women writers who changed the world / Lyndall Gordon.
- Soul talk, song language : conversations with Joy Harjo / Joy Harjo and Tanaya Winder ; photographs by Joy Harjo.
- Trawling the silences / Kathryn Stripling Byer.
- Wendell Berry : essays, 1969-1990 / Wendell Berry ; Jack Shoemaker, editor.
- Wendell Berry : essays, 1993-2017 / Wendell Berry ; Jack Shoemaker, editor.
- The writer’s map : an atlas of imaginary lands / edited by Huw Lewis-Jones.
- Writing to persuade : how to bring people over to your side / Trish Hall.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Are we smart enough to know how smart animals are? / Frans de Waal ; with drawings by the author.
- Clean meat : how growing meat without animals will revolutionize dinner and the world / Paul Shapiro ; with a foreword by Yuval Noah Harari.
- Mama’s last hug : animal emotions and what they tell us about ourselves / Frans de Waal ; with photographs and drawings by the author.
- The man who caught the storm : the life of legendary tornado chaser Tim Samaras / Brantley Hargrove.
- Mountains : the origins of the earth’s mountain systems / Graham Park.
- Rising : dispatches from the new American shore / Elizabeth Rush.
- The wizard and the prophet : two remarkable scientists and their dueling visions to shape tomorrow’s world / Charles C. Mann.
- Bodies of truth : personal narratives on illness, disability, and medicine / edited by Dinty W. Moore, Erin Murphy, Renée K. Nicholson ; foreword by Jacek L. Mostwin.
- Patient zero and the making of the AIDS epidemic / Richard A. McKay.
Religion and Philosophy
- Embracing the darkness : a cultural history of witchcraft / John Callow.
- Godless citizens in a godly republic : atheists in American public life / R. Laurence Moore and Isaac Kramnick.
- W.E.B. Du Bois and the sociology of the Black church and religion, 1897-1914 / edited by Robert A. Wortham.
- Appalachian reckoning : a region responds to Hillbilly Elegy / edited by Anthony Harkins and Meredith McCarroll.
- Breaking white supremacy : Martin Luther King Jr. and the black social gospel / Gary Dorrien.
- The class of ’74 : Congress after Watergate and the roots of partisanship / John A. Lawrence.
- Dear America : notes of an undocumented citizen / Jose Antonio Vargas.
- Headcase : LGBTQ writers & artists on mental health and wellness / edited by Stephanie Schroeder and Teresa Theophano.
- I’ve been meaning to tell you : a letter to my daughter / David Chariandy.
- The monarchy of fear : a philosopher looks at our political crisis / Martha C. Nussbaum.
- Range : why generalists triumph in a specialized world / David Epstein.
- Thick : and other essays / Tressie McMillan Cottom.
- We want to negotiate : the secret world of kidnapping, hostages and ransom / Joel Simon.
- Allah is not obliged / by Ahmadou Kourouma ; translated by Frank Wynne.
- Appointment in Samarra : a novel / John O’Hara.
- The changeling / Kenzaburo Oe ; translated from the Japanese by Deborah Boliver Boehm.
- Collected stories / Ellen Gilchrist.
- The good lord bird / James McBride.
- Little / by Edward Carey ; illustrated by Edward Carey.
- The O. Henry Prize stories 2019 / chosen and with an introduction by Laura Furman ; with essays by jurors Lynn Freed, Elizabeth Strout, Lara Vapnyar on the stories they admire most.
- Revolutionary road / Richard Yates.
- The tiger’s wife : a novel / Téa Obreht.
- The yellow birds : a novel / Kevin Powers.
- Your face in mine / Jess Row.