September 2017 New Books
Business and AIM
- Maya threads : a woven history of Chiapas / Walter F. Morris, Jr. and Carol Karasik ; photography by Janet Schwartz.
- Traditional weavers of Guatemala : their stories, their lives / Deborah Chandler and Teresa Cordón ; photography by Joe Coca.
- The history of street gangs in the United States : their origins and transformations / James C. Howell.
- The SAGE encyclopedia of educational technology, 2 volumes / editor, J. Michael Spector, University of North Texas.
- STEM road map : a framework for integrated STEM education / edited by Carla C. Johnson, Erin E. Peters-Burton, and Tamara J. Moore.
- The wrong direction for today’s schools : the impact of common core on American education / Ernest J. Zarra, III, PHD.
- Center Places and Cherokee Towns : Archaeological Perspectives on Native American Architecture and Landscape in the Southern Appalachians / Christopher B. Rodning.
- Crescent City girls : the lives of young Black women in segregated New Orleans / LaKisha Michelle Simmons.
- Encyclopedia of Latin American history and culture, 6 volumes / Jay Kinsbruner, editor in chief ; Erick D. Langer, senior editor.
Language and Literature
- Album for the young (and old) : poems / Vera Pavlova ; translated from the Russian by Steven Seymour.
- These truly are the brave : an anthology of African American writings on war and citizenship / edited by A. Yemisi Jimoh and Françoise N. Hamlin.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Encyclopedia of drugs, alcohol, & addictive behavior, 4 volumes / Pamela Korsmeyer and Henry R. Kranzler.
- Transforming addiction : gender, trauma, transdisciplinarity / edited by Lorraine Greaves, Nancy Poole, Ellexis Boyle.
- The wrong prescription for women : how medicine and media create a “need” for treatments, drugs, and surgery / Maureen C. McHugh and Joan C. Chrisler, editors ; foreword by Paula J. Caplan.
P.E. and Recreation.
- Deep run roots : stories and recipes from my corner of the South / Vivan Howard ; photographs by Rex Miller ; design by Don Morris Design.
Religion and Philosophy
- America’s secret jihad : the hidden history of religious terrorism in the United States / Stuart Wexler.
- A citizen’s guide to American foreign policy : tragic choices and the limits of rationality / David Patrick Houghton.
- The crisis of the middle class constitution : why economic inequality threatens our Republic / Ganesh Sitaraman.
- Down for the count : dirty elections and the rotten history of democracy in America / Andrew Gumbel.
- Radicals in America : the U.S. Left since the Second World War / Howard Brick, University of Michigan, Christopher Phelps, University of Nottingham.
- Firebird : ballerina Misty Copeland shows a young girl how to dance like the firebird / Misty Copeland ; illustrated by Christopher Myers.
- Voice of freedom : Fannie Lou Hamer, spirit of the civil rights movement / Carole Boston Weatherford ; illustrated by Ekua Holmes.