September 2018 New Books
Business and AIM
- Mod New York : fashion takes a trip / edited by Phyllis Magidson and Donald Albrecht ; foreword by Whitney W. Donhauser ; with essays by Kwame S. Brathwaite [and 4 others].
- The upstarts : how Uber, Airbnb, and the killer companies of the new Silicon Valley are changing the world / Brad Stone.
- Basic human anatomy : an essential visual guide for artists / Roberto Osti ; foreword by Peter Drake.
- Soul of a nation : art in the age of Black power / edited by Mark Godfrey and Zoé Whitley ; with contributions by Susan E. Cahan, David C. Driskell, Edmund Barry Gaither, Linda Goode Bryant, Jae and Wadsworth Jarrell, Samella Lewis.
- Three centuries of American prints from the National Gallery of Art / Judith Brodie, Amy Johnston, Michael J. Lewis ; with John Fagg and 11 others.
Health, Human Performance and Recreation
- Separate and unequal : the Kerner Commission and the unraveling of American liberalism / Steven M. Gillon.
- Unseen : unpublished black history from the New York Times Photo Archives / Darcy Eveleigh, Dana Canedy, Damien Cave and Rachel L. Swarns.
Language and Literature
- A history of American Civil War literature / edited by Coleman Hutchison, University of Texas, Austin.
- Leslie Marmon Silko : Ceremony, Almanac of the Dead, Gardens in the Dunes / edited by David L. Moore.
- Literature and the development of feminist theory / edited by Robin Truth Goodman, Florida State University.
- The rub of time : Bellow, Nabokov, Hitchens, Travolta, Trump : essays and reportage, 1994-2017 / Martin Amis.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Reckoning with matter : calculating machines, innovation, and thinking about thinking from Pascal to Babbage / Matthew L. Jones.
Religion and Philosophy
- The ground has shifted : the future of the Black church in post-racial America / Walter Earl Fluker.
- Religion and resistance in Appalachia : faith and the fight against mountaintop removal coal mining / Joseph D. Witt.
- Mothers of massive resistance : white women and the politics of white supremacy / Elizabeth Gillespie McRae.
- Tailspin : the people and forces behind America’s fifty-year fall–and those fighting to reverse it / Steven Brill.
- When they call you a terrorist : a Black Lives Matter memoir / Patrisse Khan-Cullors and Asha Bandele ; with a foreword by Angela Davis.
- The vain conversation : a novel / Anthony Grooms ; foreword by Clarence Major ; afterword by T. Geronimo Johnson.