October 2016 New Books
Business and AIM
- Disability incarcerated : imprisonment and disability in the United States and Canada / edited by Liat Ben-Moshe, Chris Chapman and Allison C. Carey.
- The ex-prisoner’s dilemma : how women negotiate competing narratives of reentry and desistance / Andrea M. Leverentz.
- Gangster warlords : drug dollars, killing fields, and the new politics of Latin America / Ioan Grillo.
- Green cultural criminology : constructions of environmental harm, consumerism, and resistance to ecocide / Avi Brisman and Nigel South.
- The social order of the underworld : how prison gangs govern the American penal system / David Skarbek.
- Breaking the mold of classroom management : what educators should know and do to enable student success / [edited by] Andrea Honigsfeld and Audrey Cohan.
- Other people’s English : code-meshing, code-switching, and African American literacy / Vershawn Ashanti Young, Rusty Barrett, Y’Shanda Young-Rivera, Kim Brian Lovejoy.
- Wham! : teaching with graphic novels across the curriculum / William Brozo, Gary Moorman, Carla K. Meyer ; foreword by Stergios Botzakis.
- Color lab for mixed-media artists : 52 exercises for exploring color concepts through paint, collage, paper, and more / Deborah Forman.
- Folded paper German stars : creative paper crafting ideas inspired by Friedrich Fröbel / Armin Täubner.
- The world’s your stage : how performing artists can make a living while still doing what they love / William F. Baker, Warren C. Gibson, Evan Leatherwood.
- The ancient Near East : history, society and economy / Mario Liverani ; translated by Soraia Tabatabai.
- The Cambridge world prehistory / edited by Colin Renfrew, The McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, Paul G. Bahn, Independent scholar.
- Chinese comfort women : testimonies from imperial Japan’s sex slaves / Peipei Qiu, with Su Zhiliang and Chen Lifei.
- Harlem’s Rattlers and the Great War : the undaunted 369th Regiment & the African American quest for equality / Jeffrey T. Sammons and John H. Morrow, Jr.
- Muslims and Crusaders : Christianity’s Wars in the Middle East, 1095-1382, from the Islamic Sources / Niall Christie.
- North Carolina women : their lives and times, volume 1 / edited by Michele Gillespie and Sally G. McMillen.
- That the blood stay pure : African Americans, Native Americans, and the predicament of race and identity in Virginia / Arica L. Coleman.
- The Wilmington Ten : violence, injustice, and the rise of black politics in the 1970s / Kenneth Robert Janken.
Language and Literature
- A tough little patch of history : Gone with the wind and the politics of memory / Jennifer W. Dickey.
- The other blacklist : the African American literary and cultural left of the 1950s / Mary Helen Washington.
- The South Carolina roots of African American thought : a reader / edited by Rhondda Robinson Thomas and Susanna Ashton.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Fukushima : the story of a nuclear disaster / David Lochbaum, Edwin Lyman, Susan Q. Stranahan, and the Union of Concerned Scientists.
- Math bytes : Google bombs, chocolate-covered pi, and other cool bits in computing / Timothy P. Chartier.
- The Princeton companion to applied mathematics / editor, Nicholas J. Higham, the University of Manchester ; associate editors, Mark R. Dennis, University of Bristol [and four others].
Religion and Philosophy
- APA handbook of personality and social psychology / Mario Mikulincer and Phillip R. Shaver, Editors-in-Chief, Eugene Borgida and John A. Bargh, associate editors.
- The wrongs of the right : language, race, and the Republican Party in the age of Obama / Matthew W. Hughey and Gregory S. Parks.
- The true story of the 3 little pigs / by A. Wolf ; as told to Jon Scieszka ; illustrated by Lane Smith.
- Anna Karenina / Leo Tolstoy ; translated from the Russian by Marian Schwartz ; edited with an introduction by Gary Saul Morson.