October 2018 New Books
Business and AIM
- Heavenly bodies : fashion and the Catholic imagination / Andrew Bolton ; with Barbara Drake Boehm, Marzia Cataldi Gallo, C. Griffith Mann, David Morgan, Gianfranco Cardinal Ravasi, and David Tracy ; images by Katerina Jebb.
- Innovation and scaling for impact : how effective social enterprises do it / Christian Seelos and Johanna Mair.
Health, Human Performance and Recreation
- Meditation for fidgety skeptics : a 10% happier how-to book / Dan Harris and Jeff Warren, with Carlye Adler.
- Tigerland : 1968-1969, a city divided, a nation torn apart, and a magical season of healing / Wil Haygood.
- The Colombia reader : history, culture, politics / Ann Farnsworth-Alvear, Marco Palacios, and Ana María Gómez López, editors.
- The Indian world of George Washington : the first President, the first Americans, and the birth of the nation / Colin G. Calloway.
- Poets and prophets of the Resistance : intellectuals and the origins of El Salvador’s civil war / Joaquín M. Chávez.
- The Rio de Janeiro Reader : history, culture, politics / Daryle Williams, Amy Chazkel, and Paulo Knauss, editors.
- Two against Lincoln : Reverdy Johnson and Horatio Seymour : champions of the loyal opposition / William C. Harris.
Language and Literature
- Beowulf / Santiago García, David Rubín ; translation, Sam Stone and Joe Keatinge ; lettering, Jared Fletcher.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Nature’s allies : eight conservationists who changed our world / Larry A. Nielsen ; foreword by Curt Meine.
Religion and Philosophy
- Backlash : what happens when we talk honestly about racism in America / George Yancy ; foreword by Cornel West.
- The construction of whiteness : an interdisciplinary analysis of race formation and the meaning of a white identity / edited by Stephen Middleton, David R. Roediger, and Donald M. Shaffer.
- One person, no vote : how voter suppression is destroying our democracy / Carol Anderson ; foreword by Senator Dick Durbin.
- Committed : the battle over involuntary psychiatric care / Dinah Miller, MD & Annette Hanson, MD ; foreword by Pete Earley.
- Living in death’s shadow : family experiences of terminal care and irreplaceable loss / Emily K. Abel.