October 2019 New Books
- The sun does shine : how I found life, freedom, and justice / Anthony Ray Hinton, with Lara Love Hardin ; and a foreword by Bryan Stevenson.
- Where we find ourselves : the photographs of Hugh Mangum, 1897-1922 / edited by Margaret Sartor and Alex Harris ; foreword by Deborah Willis ; introduction by Michael Lesy.
- The Cuba reader : history, culture, politics / Aviva Chomsky, Barry Carr, Alfredo Prieto, and Pamela Maria Smorkaloff, editors.
- Indians on the move : Native American mobility and urbanization in the twentieth century / Douglas K. Miller.
- Kosovo, a documentary history : from the Balkan wars to World War II / edited by Robert Elsie and Bejtullah Destani.
- The Landmark Julius Caesar : the complete works : Gallic War, Civil War, Alexandrian War, African War, and Spanish War : in one volume, with maps, annotations, appendices, and encyclopedic index / edited and translated by Kurt A. Raaflaub ; series editor, Robert B. Strassler.
- Last witnesses : an oral history of the children of World War II / Svetlana Alexievich ; translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.
- The longest day ; A bridge too far : other World War II writings / Cornelius Ryan ; Rick Atkinson, editor.
- Making black history : the color line, culture, and race in the age of Jim Crow / Jeffrey Aaron Snyder.
- Surviving genocide : native nations and the United States from the American Revolution to bleeding Kansas / Jeffrey Ostler.
- They were her property : white women as slave owners in the American South / Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers.
Language and Literature
- Soul talk, song language : conversations with Joy Harjo / Joy Harjo and Tanaya Winder ; photographs by Joy Harjo.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Clean meat : how growing meat without animals will revolutionize dinner and the world / Paul Shapiro ; with a foreword by Yuval Noah Harari.
- Mama’s last hug : animal emotions and what they tell us about ourselves / Frans de Waal ; with photographs and drawings by the author.
- The man who caught the storm : the life of legendary tornado chaser Tim Samaras / Brantley Hargrove.
- The wizard and the prophet : two remarkable scientists and their dueling visions to shape tomorrow’s world / Charles C. Mann.
- Bodies of truth : personal narratives on illness, disability, and medicine / edited by Dinty W. Moore, Erin Murphy, Renée K. Nicholson ; foreword by Jacek L. Mostwin.
Religion and Philosophy
- Godless citizens in a godly republic : atheists in American public life / R. Laurence Moore and Isaac Kramnick.
- W.E.B. Du Bois and the sociology of the Black church and religion, 1897-1914 / edited by Robert A. Wortham.
- Appalachian reckoning : a region responds to Hillbilly Elegy / edited by Anthony Harkins and Meredith McCarroll.
- Headcase : LGBTQ writers & artists on mental health and wellness / edited by Stephanie Schroeder and Teresa Theophano.
- The O. Henry Prize stories 2019 / chosen and with an introduction by Laura Furman ; with essays by jurors Lynn Freed, Elizabeth Strout, Lara Vapnyar on the stories they admire most.