October 2017 New Books
Business and AIM
- The Ferguson report : Department of Justice investigation of the Ferguson Police Department / United States Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division ; introduction by Theodore M. Shaw.
- How the police generate false confessions : an inside look at the interrogation room / James L. Trainum.
- A smile in the mind : witty thinking in graphic design / Beryl McAlhone & David Stuart, Greg Quinton & Nick Asbury.
- Louise Dahl-Wolfe / texts by Oliva María Rubio, John P. Jacob, Celina Lunsford, and Louise Dahl-Wolfe.
- National Geographic infographics / editor, Julius Wiedemann ; National Geographic editor, Kaitlin Yarnall.
- The Oxford handbook of music and disability studies / edited by Blake Howe, Stephanie Jensen-Moulton, Neil Lerner, and Joseph Straus.
- When the world stopped to listen : Van Cliburn’s Cold War triumph, and its aftermath / by Stuart Isacoff.
- Your song changed my life : from Jimmy Page to St. Vincent, Smokey Robinson to Hozier, thirty-five beloved artists on their journey and the music that inspired it / Bob Boilen.
- Emmett Till : the murder that shocked the world and propelled the civil rights movement / Devery S. Anderson ; foreword by Julian Bond.
- Last Hope Island : Britain, occupied Europe, and the brotherhood that helped turn the tide of war / Lynne Olson.
- Napoleon and the struggle for Germany : the Franco-Prussian War of 1813, 2 volumes / Michael V. Leggiere, University of North Texas.
- Spear of the Nation (Umkhonto weSizwe) : South Africa’s freedom fighters, 1960s-1990s / Janet Cherry.
- Swansong 1945 : a collective diary of the last days of the Third Reich / Walter Kempowski ; translated from the German by Shaun Whiteside.
Language and Literature
- The Cambridge companion to The waste land / edited by Gabrielle McIntire, Queen’s University, Canada.
- The Globe guide to Shakespeare : the plays, the productions, the life / Andrew Dickson ; with contributions by Joe Staines.
Math and Natural Sciences
- The Cornell Lab of Ornithology handbook of bird biology / edited by Irby J. Lovette, John W. Fitzpatrick.
- DDT wars : rescuing our national bird, preventing cancer, and creating The Environmental Defense Fund / Charles F. Wurster.
- Resurrection science : conservation, de-extinction and the precarious future of wild things / M.R. O’Connor.
- Ending medical reversal : improving outcomes, saving lives / Vinayak K. Prasad, MD, MPH, Adam S. Cifu, MD.
- Welcome to the microbiome : getting to know the trillions of bacteria and other microbes in, on, and around you / Rob DeSalle and Susan L. Perkins ; illustrated by Patricia J. Wynne.
P.E. and Recreation
Religion and Philosophy
- Blaming the poor : the long shadow of the Moynihan report on cruel images about poverty / Susan D. Greenbaum.
- Congressional procedures and the policy process / Walter J. Oleszek, Mark J. Oleszek, Elizabeth Rybicki, Bill Heniff Jr.
- Encyclopedia of social media and politics, 3 volumes / Kerric Harvey, George Washington University, editor.
- Reverend Addie Wyatt : faith and the fight for labor, gender, and racial equality / Marcia Walker-McWilliams.
- Violence against queer people : race, class, gender, and the persistence of anti-LGBT discrimination / Doug Meyer.
- Josephine : the dazzling life of Josephine Baker / words by Patricia Hruby Powell ; pictures by Christian Robinson.