November 2016 New Books
Business and AIM
- Bad girls at Samarcand : sexuality and sterilization in a southern juvenile reformatory / Karin L. Zipf.
- Latino young men and boys in search of justice : testimonies / edited by Frank de Jesús Acosta ; co-edited: Henry A.J. Ramos ; foreword: Luis J. Rodríguez.
- The musical experience : rethinking music teaching and learning / edited by Janet R. Barrett and Peter R. Webster.
- Why are so many minority students in special education? : understanding race & disability in schools / Beth Harry, Janette Klingner ; forewords by Lisa D. Delpit and Alfredo Artiles.
- Storyteller : the photographs of Duane Michals / Linda Benedict-Jones ; with contributions by Allen Ellenzweig [and three others] ; with additional texts by William Jenkins, Max Kozloff, and Enrica Viganò.
Health and P.E.
- The field guide to knots : how to identify, tie, and untie over 80 essential knots for outdoor pursuits / Bob Holtzman.
- Backwater blues : the Mississippi Flood of 1927 in the African American imagination / Richard M. Mizelle Jr.
- Code warriors : NSA’s codebreakers and the secret intelligence war against the Soviet Union / Stephen Budiansky.
- The firebrand and the First Lady : portrait of a friendship : Pauli Murray, Eleanor Roosevelt, and the struggle for social justice / Patricia Bell-Scott.
- Notes from a colored girl : the Civil War pocket diaries of Emilie Frances Davis / Karsonya Wise Whitehead.
- Pushing the Indians out : early movers & shakers in western North Carolina (and Tennessee Territory) / Charles R. Haller.
Language and Literature
- The divine magnet : Herman Melville’s letters to Nathaniel Hawthorne / edited with an introduction by Mark Niemeyer ; foreword by Paul Harding.
- Todos somos Whitman / por Luis Alberto Ambroggio ; traducido por Brett Alan Sanders = We Are All Whitman / by Alberto Ambroggio ; translated by Brett Alan Sanders.
- Truth of my songs : poems of the Trobairitz / translated and with an introduction by Claudia Keelan.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Biology and conservation of North American tortoises / edited by David C. Rostal, Earl D. McCoy, and Henry R. Mushinsky.
- The improbability principle : why coincidences, miracles, and rare events happen every day / David J. Hand.
- Long-term response of a forest watershed ecosystem : clearcutting in the southern Appalachians / edited by Wayne T. Swank and Jackson R. Webster.
- The permaculture city : regenerative design for urban, suburban, and town resilience / Toby Hemenway.
- The secret war between downloading and uploading : tales of the computer as culture machine / Peter Lunenfeld.
- Enigmas of health and disease : how epidemiology helps unravel scientific mysteries / Alfredo Morabia.
- Precarious prescriptions : contested histories of race and health in North America / Laurie B. Green, John Mckiernan-González, and Martin Summers, editors.
- A voice that could stir an army : Fannie Lou Hamer and the rhetoric of the Black freedom movement / Maegan Parker Brooks.
- The anatomy of addiction : what science and research tell us about the true causes, best preventive techniques, and most successful treatments / Akikur Mohammad, MD.
- Because of sex : one law, ten cases, and fifty years that changed American women’s lives at work / Gillian Thomas.
- Civil rights and the making of the modern American state / Megan Ming Francis, Pepperdine University.
- Coping with BPD : DBT and CBT skills to soothe the symptoms of borderline personality disorder / Blaise Aguirre, MD, Gillian Galen, PsyD ; foreword by Alec Miller, PsyD.
- The rise and fall of American growth : the U.S. standard of living since the Civil War / Robert J. Gordon.
- The best American short stories 2016 / selected from U.S. and Canadian magazines by Junot Díaz with Heidi Pitlor ; with an introduction by Junot Díaz.
- The O. Henry Prize Stories 2016 / chosen and with an introduction by Laura Furman ; with essays by jurors Molly Antopol, Peter Cameron, Lionel Shriver on the stories they admire most.