November 2018 New Books
Business and AIM
- The House of Worth 1858-1954 : the birth of haute couture / Chantal Trubert-Tollu, Françoise Tétart-Vittu, Jean-Marie Martin-Hattemberg, Fabrice Olivieri ; foreword by Christian Lacroix.
- A court of refuge : stories from the bench of America’s first mental health court / Judge Ginger Lerner-Wren with Rebecca A. Eckland.
- Creative writing innovations : breaking boundaries in the classroom / edited by Michael Dean Clark, Trent Hergenrader, and Joseph Rein.
- Poison in the ivy : race relations and the reproduction of inequality on elite college campuses / W. Carson Byrd.
- Grant Wood : American Gothic and other fables / Barbara Haskell ; with contributions by Glenn Adamson [and four others].
Health, Human Performance and Recreation
- Barracoon : the story of the last “black cargo” / Zora Neale Hurston ; edited by Deborah G. Plant ; foreword by Alice Walker.
- Bataan survivor : a POW’s account of Japanese captivity in World War II / David L. Hardee ; edited by Frank A. Blazich, Jr.
- Citizen internees : a second look at race and citizenship in Japanese American internment camps / Linda L. Ivey and Kevin W. Kaatz.
- The King and the Catholics : England, Ireland, and the fight for religious freedom, 1780-1829 / Antonia Fraser.
Language and Literature
- The complete Old English poems / translated by Craig Williamson ; with an introduction by Tom Shippey.
- The sorcerer’s apprentice : an anthology of magical tales / edited by Jack Zipes ; illustrated by Natalie Frank.
Math and Natural Sciences
- A field guide to mushrooms of the Carolinas / Alan E. Bessette, Arleen F. Bessette, Michael W. Hopping.
- High and dry : meeting the challenges of the world’s growing dependence on groundwater / William M. Alley and Rosemarie Alley.
- Caring matters most : the ethical significance of nursing / by Mark Lazenby, PhD, APRN, FAAN, Associate Professor of Nursing, Yale University School of Nursing, New Haven, CT.
- Vaccination ethics and policy : an introduction with readings / edited by Jason L. Schwartz and Arthur L. Caplan.
Religion and Philosophy
- New world a-coming : Black religion and racial identity during the great migration / Judith Weisenfeld.
- Automating inequality : how high-tech tools profile, police, and punish the poor / Virginia Eubanks.
- Many voices, one nation : material culture reflections on race and migration in the United States / edited by Margaret Salazar-Porzio and Joan Fragaszy Troyano, with Lauren Safranek.
- The psychologist’s companion for undergraduates : a guide to success for college students / Robert J. Sternberg, Karin Sternberg.
- What truth sounds like : Robert F. Kennedy, James Baldwin, and our unfinished conversation about race in America / Michael Eric Dyson.
- The O. Henry Prize Stories 2018 / chosen and with an introduction by Laura Furman ; with essays by jurors Fiona McFarlane, Otessa Moshfegh, Elizabeth Tallent on the stories they admire most.