November 2017 New Books
Business and AIM
- 21 secrets of million-dollar sellers : America’s top earners reveal the keys to sales success / Stephen J. Harvill.
- Overcoming disparity : Latino young men and boys / edited by Frank de Jesus Acosta and Henry A.J. Ramos.
- Why American prisons fail : how to fix them without spending more money (maybe less) / Peyton Paxson, George H. Watson.
- Teaching for historical literacy : building knowledge in the history classroom / Matthew T. Downey and Kelly A. Long.
- Summer of love : art, fashion, and rock and roll / Jill D’Alessandro and Colleen Terry with Victoria Binder, Dennis McNally, Joel Selvin and Ben van Meter.
- Appalachia revisited : new perspectives on place, tradition, and progress / edited by William Schumann and Rebecca Adkins Fletcher.
- Hell before their very eyes : American soldiers liberate concentration camps in Germany, April 1945 / John C. McManus.
- The political diary of Alfred Rosenberg and the onset of the Holocaust / Jürgen Matthäus and Frank Bajohr.
- The resilience of southern identity : why the South still matters in the minds of its people / Christopher A. Cooper and H. Gibbs Knotts.
- Understanding the U.S. Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan / edited by Beth Bailey and Richard H. Immerman.
Language and Literature
- Kingdom of olives and ash : writers confront the occupation / Ayelet Waldman and Michael Chabon, editors ; Moriel Rothman-Zecher, associate editor.
- Maya Angelou : adventurous spirit : from I know why the caged bird sings (1970) to Rainbow in the cloud, the wisdom and spirit of Maya Angelou (2014) / Linda Wagner-Martin.
- Rereading Appalachia : literacy, place, and cultural resistance / edited by Sara Webb-Sunderhaus and Kim Donehower.
- Writing the environment in nineteenth-century American literature : the ecological awareness of early scribes of nature / edited by Steven Petersheim and Madison P. Jones IV.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Environmental policy : new directions for the twenty-first century / edited by Norman J. Vig, Carleton College, Michael E. Kraft, University of Wisconsin, Green Bay.
- Great transformations in vertebrate evolution / edited by Kenneth P. Dial, Neil Shubin, and Elizabeth L. Brainerd.
- Primates in the real world : escaping primate folklore and creating primate science / Georgina M. Montgomery.
- Introduction to biosocial medicine : the social, psychological, and biological determinants of human behavior and well-being / Donald A. Barr, MD, PhD.
Religion and Philosophy
- Mormon feminism : essential writings / edited by Joanna Brooks, Rachel Hunt Steenblik, and Hannah Wheelwright.
- The Almanac of American Politics 2018 : members of Congress and governors: their profiles and election results, their states and districts / Richard E. Cohen, James A. Barnes.
- APA handbook of psychology and juvenile justice / Kirk Heilbrun, editor-in-chief ; David DeMatteo and Naomi E. S. Goldstein, associate editors.
- John Lennon vs. the USA : the inside story of the most bitterly contested and influential deportation case in United States history / Leon Wildes ; foreword by Michael Wildes.
- Lactivism : how feminists and fundamentalists, hippies and yuppies, and physicians and politicians made breastfeeding big business and bad policy / Courtney Jung.
- The lovers : Afghanistan’s Romeo & Juliet : the true story of how they defied their families and escaped an honor killing / Rod Nordland.
- Understanding Jim Crow : using racist memorabilia to teach tolerance and promote social justice / David Pilgrim.
- Weapons of math destruction : how big data increases inequality and threatens democracy / Cathy O’Neil.
- The O. Henry Prize Stories 2017 / chosen and with an introduction by Laura Furman ; with essays by jurors David Bradley, Elizabeth McCracken [and] Brad Watson on the stories they admire most.