January 2017 New Books
Business and AIM
- Confronting school bullying : kids, culture, and the making of a social problem / Jeffrey W. Cohen and Robert A. Brooks.
- Making space for active learning : the art and practice of teaching / edited by Anne C. Martin, Ellen Schwartz ; foreword by Helen Featherstone.
- Sociocultural issues in physical education : case studies for teachers / edited by Sara Barnard Flory ; Amy Tischler, and Stephen Sanders.
- Wil Lou Gray : the making of a Southern progressive from new South to New Deal / Mary Macdonald Ogden.
- From the margins : Lee Krasner, Norman Lewis, 1945-1952 / Norman L. Kleeblatt and Stephen Brown ; with essays by Lisa Saltzman and Mia L. Bagneris.
- Henri Matisse : the cut-outs / edited by Karl Buchberg, Nicholas Cullinan, Jodi Hauptman, and Nicholas Serota ; with essays by Karl Buchberg, Nicholas Cullinan, Samantha Friedman, Flavia Frigeri, Markus Gross, Jodi Hauptman, Stephan Lohrengel, and Nicholas Serota.
- Store front II : a history preserved : the disappearing face of New York / James T. & Karla L. Murray.
Health and P.E.
- Becoming vegan : the complete reference to plant-based nutrition / Brenda Davis, RD, Vesanto Melina, MS, RD.
- By the spear : Philip II, Alexander the Great, and the rise and fall of the Macedonian empire / Ian Worthington.
- Witness to the revolution : radicals, resisters, vets, hippies, and the year America lost its mind and found its soul / Clara Bingham.
Language and Literature
- Voices from the Appalachian coalfields : found poems / [interviewers and editors] Mike Yarrow and Ruth Yarrow ; photographs by Douglas Yarrow.
- Walk till the dogs get mean : meditations on the forbidden from contemporary Appalachia / edited by Adrian Blevins and Karen Salyer McElmurray.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Sentience and animal welfare / Donald M. Broom, Professor of Animal Welfare (Emeritus), Centre for Anthrozoology and Animal Welfare, Department of Veterinary Medicine and St. Catharine’s College, University of Cambridge, UK.
- Human diseases from wildlife / Michael R. Conover, Director, Wildlife Resources Department, Jack H. Berryman Institute, Utah State University, Logan, USA, Rosanna M. Vail, Kansas State University, Manhattan, USA.
- Public health in Appalachia : essays from the clinic and the field / edited by Wendy Welch ; foreword by John Dreyzehner.
Religion and Philosophy
- Charter of the United Nations : together with scholarly commentaries and essential historical documents / edited and with an Introduction by Ian Shapiro and Joseph Lampert.
- The constitutional parent : rights, responsibilities, and the enfranchisement of the child / Jeffrey Shulman.
- Everyday bias : identifying and navigating unconscious judgments in our daily lives / Howard J. Ross.
- Feminism unfinished : a short, surprising history of American women’s movements / Dorothy Sue Cobble, Linda Gordon, and Astrid Henry.
- In the shadow of Boone and Crockett : race, culture, and the politics of representation in the upland South / Ian C. Hartman.
- Sisters in law : how Sandra Day O’Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg went to the Supreme Court and changed the world / Linda Hirshman.
- To the Secretary : leaked embassy cables and America’s foreign policy disconnect / Mary Thompson-Jones.
- We just keep running the line : black Southern women and the poultry processing industry / LaGuana Gray.
- Women of the Mountain South : identity, work, and activism / edited by Connie Park Rice and Marie Tedesco.