January/February 2019 New Books
Business and AIM
- Crime and social justice in Indian country / edited by Marianne O. Nielsen and Karen Jarratt-Snider.
- Gender, psychology, and justice : the mental health of women and girls in the legal system / edited by Corinne C. Datchi and Julie R. Ancis.
- Can I teach that? : negotiating taboo language and controversial topics in the language arts classroom / edited by Suzanne Linder and Elizabeth Majerus.
- Trans* in college : transgender students’ strategies for navigating campus life and the institutional politics of inclusion / Z. Nicolazzo ; foreword by Kristen A. Renn ; afterword by Stephen John Quaye.
- Was the Cat in the Hat black? : the hidden racism of children’s literature, and the need for diverse books / Philip Nel.
- The hope of another spring : Takuichi Fujii, artist and wartime witness / Barbara Johns ; foreword by Roger Daniels ; introduction to the diary by Sandy Kita.
- Ninth Street women : Lee Krasner, Elaine de Kooning, Grace Hartigan, Joan Mitchell, and Helen Frankenthaler : five painters and the movement that changed modern art / Mary Gabriel.
- Defending the Motherland : the Soviet women who fought Hitler’s aces / Lyuba Vinogradova; with an introduction by Antony Beevor; translated from the Russian by Arch Tait.
- Lighting the fires of freedom : African American women in the civil rights movement / Janet Dewart Bell.
- The prison letters of Nelson Mandela / edited by Sahm Venter ; foreword by Zamaswazi Dlamini-Mandela.
- The promise and the dream : the untold story of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy / David Margolick ; foreword by Douglas Brinkley.
- Voices of civil rights lawyers : reflections from the deep South, 1964-1980 / edited by Kent Spriggs ; foreword by Marian Wright Edelman.
Language and Literature
- Maternal metaphors of power in African American women’s literature : from Phillis Wheatley to Toni Morrison / Geneva Cobb Moore ; foreword by Andrew Billingsley.
- Reading William Gilmore Simms : essays of introduction to the author’s canon / edited by Todd Hagstette.
- Sabers and utopias : visions of Latin America / Mario Vargas Llosa ; translated from the Spanish by Anna Kushner.
Religion and Philosophy
- Seven ways of looking at pointless suffering : what philosophy can tell us about the hardest mystery of all / Scott Samuelson.
- After hope and change : the 2012 elections and American politics, post 2014 election update / James W. Ceaser, Andrew E. Busch, and John J. Pitney Jr.
- The coddling of the American mind : how good intentions and bad ideas are setting up a generation for failure / Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt.
- Defying the odds : the 2016 elections and American politics / James W. Ceaser, Andrew E. Busch, and John J. Pitney Jr.
- Generation wealth / Lauren Greenfield ; foreword by Juliet Schor ; photographs edited with Trudy Wilner Stack ; text edited with Susan Lynley Welsh.
- Plundered skulls and stolen spirits : inside the fight to reclaim native America’s culture / Chip Colwell.
- Domestic abuse, child custody, and visitation : winning in family court / Toby G. Kleinman and Daniel Pollack.
- The Best American short stories 2018 / selected from U.S. and Canadian magazines by Roxane Gay with Heidi Pitlor ; with an introduction by Roxane Gay.