February 2017 New Books
Business and AIM
- Appealing to justice : prisoner grievances, rights, and carceral logic / Kitty Calavita and Valerie Jenness.
- Monster : a graphic novel / by Walter Dean Myers ; adapted by Guy A. Sims ; illustrated by Dawud Anyabwile.
- The test : why our schools are obsessed with standardized testing-but you don’t have to be / Anya Kamenetz.
- Conversations in jazz : the Ralph J. Gleason interviews / edited by Toby Gleason ; foreword and introductory notes by Ted Gioia.
- Hear my sad story : the true tales that inspired “Stagolee,” “John Henry,” and other traditional American folk songs / Richard Polenberg.
- Keith Haring : the political line / by Dieter Buchhart, Julian Cox, Robert Farris Thompson, Julia Gruen, Glenn O’Brien, Julian Myers-Szupinska, Tony Shafrazi, Carlo McCormick, and Giorgio Verzotti.
- Music in the air : the selected writings of Ralph J. Gleason / edited by Toby Gleason ; foreword by Jann Wenner ; introduction by Paul Scanlon.
P.E. and Recreation.
- A path in the mighty waters : shipboard life and Atlantic crossings to the New World / Stephen R. Berry.
- Doña Teresa confronts the Spanish Inquisition : a seventeenth-century New Mexican drama / Frances Levine.
- Island : poetry and history of Chinese immigrants on Angel Island, 1910-1940 / edited by Him Mark Lai, Genny Lim, and Judy Yung.
- North Carolina’s roadside eateries : a traveler’s guide to local restaurants, diners, and barbecue joints / by D. G. Martin.
- Studying Appalachian studies : making the path by walking / edited by Chad Berry, Phillip J. Obermiller, and Shaunna L. Scott.
Language and Literature
- Digital paper : a manual for research and writing with library and internet materials / Andrew Abbott.
- F.B. eyes : how J. Edgar Hoover’s ghostreaders framed African American literature / William J. Maxwell.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Human variation : a genetic perspective on diversity, race, and medicine / edited by Aravinda Chakravarti, McKusick-Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Standard deviations : flawed assumptions, tortured data, and other ways to lie with statistics / Gary Smith.
- The violence of care : rape victims, forensic nurses, and sexual assault intervention / Sameena Mulla.
Religion and Philosophy
- The lively experiment : religious toleration in America from Roger Williams to the present / Chris Beneke and Christopher S. Grenda ; foreword by Jon Butler.
- The art and science of mindfulness : integrating mindfulness into psychology and the helping professions / Shauna L. Shapiro and Linda E. Carlson ; with a foreword by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
- Jim Crow’s legacy : the lasting impact of segregation / Ruth Thompson-Miller, Joe R. Feagin, and Leslie H. Picca.
- Psychodynamic art therapy practice with people on the autistic spectrum / edited by Matt Dolphin, Angela Byers, Alison Goldsmith, and Ruth E. Jones.
- Rethinking women’s and gender studies / edited by Catherine M. Orr, Ann Braithwaite, Diane Lichtenstein.