February 2018 New Books
Business and AIM
- 200 skills every fashion designer must have : the indispensable guide to building skills and turning ideas into reality / Aisling McKeefry.
- In their lives : great writers on great Beatles songs / edited by Andrew Blauner ; a note from Paul McCartney.
- Inge Morath : on style / introduction by Justine Picardie ; edited and with an afterword by John P. Jacob.
- The joy of lettering : a creative exploration of contemporary hand lettering, typography & illustrated typeface / Gabri Joy Kirkendall ; Jaclyn Escalera.
- Scene design and stage lighting / R. Craig Wolf, San Diego State University, Dick Block, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Talking guitar : conversations with musicians who shaped twentieth-century American music / Jas Obrecht.
- China’s quest : the history of the foreign relations of the People’s Republic of China / John W. Garver.
- The less you know, the better you sleep : Russia’s road to terror and dictatorship under Yeltsin and Putin / David Satter.
- On Strawberry Hill : the transcendent love of Gifford Pinchot and Laura Houghteling / Paula Ivaska Robbins ; foreword by Char Miller.
- Pick Nick : the political odyssey of Nick Galifianakis from immigrant son to congressman / John E. Semonche.
- The price for their pound of flesh : the value of the enslaved from womb to grave in the building of a nation / Daina Ramey Berry.
- Unlikely dissenters : white southern women in the fight for racial justice, 1920-1970 / Anne Stefani.
- Young and damned and fair : the life of Catherine Howard, fifth wife of King Henry VIII / Gareth Russell.
Language and Literature
- Before Harlem : an anthology of African American literature from the long nineteenth century / edited by Ajuan Maria Mance.
- Black authors and illustrators of books for children and young adults / edited by Barbara Thrash Murphy, Deborah L. Murphy.
- This book is an action : feminist print culture and activist aesthetics / edited by Jaime Harker and Cecilia Konchar Farr.
- The wild swans at Coole (1919) / William Butler Yeats ; with an introduction and notes by George Bornstein.
Math and Natural Sciences
- The Brown Mountain lights : history, science and human nature explain an Appalachian mystery / Wade Edward Speer.
- The friendly orange glow : the untold story of the PLATO system and the dawn of cyberculture / Brian Dear.
P.E. and Recreation
- Changing the playbook : how power, profit, and politics transformed college sports / Howard P. Chudacoff.
- Dueling with kings : high stakes, killer sharks, and the get-rich promise of daily fantasy sports / Daniel Barbarisi.
- Adolescence and body image : from development to preventing dissatisfaction / Lina A. Ricciardelli and Zali Yager.
- From curlers to chainsaws : women and their machines / edited by Joyce Dyer, Jennifer Cognard-Black, and Elizabeth MacLeod Walls.
- Gerrymandering in America : the House of Representatives, the Supreme Court, and the future of popular sovereignty / Anthony J. McGann, Charles Anthony Smith, Michael Latner, Alex Keena.
- Junctures in women’s leadership : social movements / edited by Mary K. Trigg and Alison R. Bernstein.
- Lives in limbo : undocumented and coming of age in America / Roberto G. Gonzales ; with a foreword by Jose Antonio Vargas.
- Queer (in)justice : the criminalization of LGBT people in the United States / Joey L. Mogul, Andrea J. Ritchie, and Kay Whitlock.
- The rise and fall of the Voting Rights Act / Charles S. Bullock III, Ronald Keith Gaddie, Justin J. Wert.