Summer 2016 New Books
Business and AIM
- The modern natural dyer : a comprehensive guide to dyeing silk, wool, linen, and cotton at home / Kristine Vejar ; photography by Sara Remington.
- Failing our brightest kids : the global challenge of educating high-ability students / Chester E. Finn, Jr., Brandon L. Wright.
- Teaching the taboo : courage and imagination in the classroom / Rick Ayers, William Ayers ; foreword by Carol Lee.
- The public school advantage : why public schools outperform private schools / Christopher A. Lubienski and Sarah Theule Lubienski.
- The use of literary sources in social studies, K-8 : techniques for teachers to include literature in instruction / Elaine M. Bukowiecki.
- Transforming teaching and learning with active and dramatic approaches : engaging students across the curriculum / Brian Edmiston.
- Envisioning Howard Finster : the religion and art of a stranger from another world / Norman Girardot.
- Sharecropper’s troubadour : John L. Handcox, the Southern Tenant Farmers’ Union, and the African American song tradition / by Michael K. Honey.
- Staging faith : religion and African American theater from the Harlem renaissance to World War II / Craig R. Prentiss.
- The owner’s manual to the voice : a guide for singers and other professional voice users / Rachael Gates ; L. Arick Forrest ; Kerrie Obert.
Health and P.E.
- The Cherokee diaspora : an indigenous history of migration, resettlement, and identity / Gregory D. Smithers.
- The longest trail : writings on American Indian history, culture, and politics / Alvin M. Josephy, Jr. ; edited by Marc Jaffe and Rich Wandschneider.
Language and Literature
- All-American redneck : variations on an icon, from James Fenimore Cooper to the Dixie Chicks / Matthew J. Ferrence.
- The art of X-ray reading : how the secrets of 25 great works of literature will improve your writing / Roy Peter Clark.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Don’t make me think, revisited : a common sense approach to Web usability / Steve Krug ; editor: Elizabeth Bayle ; cover design: Aren Straiger ; cover and author illustration: Mark Matcho.
- The grapes of math : how life reflects numbers and numbers reflect life / Alex Bellos ; illustrations by the Surreal McCoy.
- Trees of Eastern North America / Gil Nelson, Christopher J. Earle, and Richard Spellenberg ; illustrations by David More ; edited by Amy K. Hughes.
- Trees of western North America / Richard Spellenberg, Christopher J. Earle, and Gil Nelson ; illustrations by David More ; edited by Amy K. Hughes.
- Graphic medicine manifesto / MK Czerwiec, Ian Williams, Susan Merrill Squier, Michael J. Green, Kimberly R. Myers, and Scott T. Smith.
- Stem cell dialogues : a philosophical and scientific inquiry into medical frontiers / Sheldon Krimsky.
- The end of a global pox : America and the eradication of smallpox in the Cold War era / Bob H. Reinhardt.
- The transplant imaginary : mechanical hearts, animal parts, and moral thinking in highly experimental science / Lesley A. Sharp.
Religion and Philosophy
- American heretics : Catholics, Jews, Muslims, and the history of religious intolerance / Peter Gottschalk ; forward by Martin E. Marty.
- Correspondence : 1904-1938 / Sigmund Freud, Anna Freud ; Edited by Ingeborg Meyer-Palmedo ; Translated by Nick Somers.
- Our roots run deep as ironweed : Appalachian women and the fight for environmental justice / Shannon Elizabeth Bell.
- The third reconstruction : Moral Mondays, fusion politics, and the rise of a new justice movement / the Reverend Dr. William J. Barber II with Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove.
- Children living in transition : helping homeless and foster care children and families / edited by Cheryl Zlotnick.