April 2017 New Books
Business and AIM
- Couture confessions : fashion legends in their own words / Pamela Golbin ; illustrated by Yann Legendre.
- Fashion game changers : reinventing the 20th century silhouette / edited by Karen Van Godtsenhoven, Miren Arzalluz and Kaat Debo.
- Absolutely on music : conversations / Haruki Murakami with Seiji Ozawa ; translated from the Japanese by Jay Rubin.
- The Electric Pencil / James Edward Deeds Jr. ; Introduction by Richard Goodman ; forward by Harris Diamant.
- Ancient Teotihuacan : early urbanism in Central Mexico / George L. Cowgill, Arizona State University.
- Brothers at arms : American independence and the men of France and Spain who saved it / Larrie D. Ferreiro.
- Lincoln’s gamble : the tumultuous six months that gave America the Emancipation Proclamation and changed the course of the Civil War / Todd Brewster.
- North Carolina women : their lives and times, volume 2 / edited by Michele Gillespie and Sally G. McMillen.
- The quartermaster : Montgomery C. Meigs : Lincoln’s general, master builder of the Union army / Robert O’Harrow, Jr.
- The political economy of virtue : luxury, patriotism, and the origins of the French Revolution / John Shovlin.
- Richard L. Davis and the color line in Ohio coal : a Hocking Valley Mine labor organizer, 1862-1900 / Frans H. Doppen.
- Samurai and the culture of Japan’s great peace / Fabian Drixler, William D. Fleming, Robert George Wheeler.
Language and Literature
- Across cultures : a guide to multicultural literature for children / Kathy East and Rebecca L. Thomas.
- Ottawa stories from the Springs : anishinaabe dibaadjimowinan wodi gaa binjibaamigak wodi mookodjiwong e zhinikaadek / translated and edited by Howard Webkamigad.
- The unknown Kerouac : rare, unpublished, & newly translated writings / Todd Tietchen, editor ; Jean-Christophe Cloutier, translator.
Math and Natural Sciences
- America’s snake : the rise and fall of the timber rattlesnake / Ted Levin ; illustrations by Alexandra Westrich.
- Climatology versus pseudoscience : exposing the failed predictions of global warming skeptics / Dana Nuccitelli.
- Ecology of woodlands and forests : description, dynamics and diversity / Peter A. Thomas and John R. Packham.
- Large-scale ecology : model systems to global perspectives / edited by Alex J. Dumbrell, Rebecca L. Kordas, Guy Woodward.
- Bodily subjects : essays on gender and health, 1800-2000 / edited by Tracy Penny Light, Barbara Brookes, and Wendy Mitchinson.
Religion and Philosophy
- Charleston syllabus : readings on race, racism, and racial violence / edited by Chad Williams, Kidada E. Williams, and Keisha N. Blain.
- Do facts matter? : information and misinformation in American politics / Jennifer L. Hochschild and Katherine Levine Einstein.
- I don’t see color : personal and critical perspectives on white privilege / edited by Bettina Bergo and Tracey Nicholls.
- Malcolm X’s Michigan worldview : an exemplar for contemporary Black studies / edited by Rita Kiki Edozie and Curtis Stokes.
- Working on earth : class and environmental justice / edited by Christina Robertson and Jennifer Westerman.
- Finding Winnie : the true story of the world’s most famous bear / by Lindsay Mattick ; illustrated by Sophie Blackall.
- The inquisitor’s tale, or, the three magical children and their holy dog / Adam Gidwitz ; illuminated by Hatem Aly.