April 2018 New Books
Business and AIM
- Dress history : new directions in theory and practice / edited by Charlotte Nicklas and Annebella Pollen.
- Managing in the gray : five timeless questions for resolving your hardest problems at work / Joseph L. Badaracco.
- Abetting batterers : what police, prosecutors, and courts aren’t doing to protect America’s women / Andrew R. Klein and Jessica L. Klein.
- From the war on poverty to the war on crime : the making of mass incarceration in America / Elizabeth Hinton.
- Policing the Black man : arrest, prosecution, and imprisonment / edited and with an introduction by Angela J. Davis.
- Case studies on safety, bullying, and social media in schools : current issues in educational leadership / Laura Trujillo-Jenks, Kenneth Jenks.
- The actor’s workbook : a practical guide to training, rehearsing and devising + video / Alex Clifton.
- August 1914 : France, the Great War, and a month that changed the world forever / Bruno Cabanes ; translated by Stephanie O’Hara.
- The day will pass away : the diary of a Gulag prison guard, 1935-1936 / Ivan Chistyakov ; introduction and notes by Irina Shcherbakova ; translation from the Russian by Arch Tait.
- Never caught : the Washingtons’ relentless pursuit of their runaway slave, Ona Judge / Erica Armstrong Dunbar.
- Reconstruction : voices from America’s first great struggle for racial equality / Brooks D. Simpson, editor.
- The second coming of the KKK : the Ku Klux Klan of the 1920s and the American political tradition / Linda Gordon.
- Three roads to Magdalena : coming of age in a Southwest borderland, 1890-1990 / David Wallace Adams.
- The war on terror encyclopedia : from the rise of Al-Qaeda to 9/11 and beyond / Jan Goldman, editor.
Language and Literature
- Collected novels & poems : Train whistle guitar ; The spyglass tree ; The seven league boots ; The magic keys ; Poems / Albert Murray ; Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Paul Devlin, editors.
- The definitive Shakespeare companion : overviews, documents, and analysis, 4 volumes / Joseph Rosenblum, editor.
- Zombiescapes and phantom zones : ecocriticism and the liminal from Invisible Man to The Walking Dead / Lee Rozelle.
Math and Natural Sciences
- Clockwork futures : the science of steampunk and the reinvention of the modern world / Brandy Schillace.
- Science in the soul : selected writings of a passionate rationalist / Richard Dawkins ; edited by Gillian Somerscales.
- Technically wrong : sexist apps, biased algorithms, and other threats of toxic tech / Sara Wachter-Boettcher.
P.E. and Recreation
- Sports injury prevention and rehabilitation : integrating medicine and science for performance solutions / edited by David Joyce and Daniel Lewindon.
Religion and Philosophy
- Anatomy of a Schism : how clergywomen’s narratives reinterpret the fracturing of the Southern Baptist Convention / Eileen R. Campbell-Reed.
- American political culture : an encyclopedia, 3 volumes / Michael Shally-Jensen, general editor ; Ted G. Jelen and Mark J. Rozell, advisory editors.
- Black elephants in the room : the unexpected politics of African American Republicans / Corey D. Fields.
- Disrupting data in qualitative inquiry : entanglements with the post-critical and post-anthropocentric / edited by Mirka Koro-Ljungberg, Teija Löytönen, and Marek Tesar.
- Messengers of the Right : conservative media and the transformation of American politics / Nicole Hemmer.
- The song and the silence : a story about family, race, and what was revealed in a small town in the Mississippi Delta while searching for Booker Wright / Yvette Johnson.
- Social work speaks : National Association of Social Workers policy statements, 2018-2020 / Kathryn Conley Wehrmann, PhD, LCSW, President ; Angelo McClain, PhD, LICSW, Chief Executive Officer.